Water Damage and Molds

Upstairs Bathroom Ceiling

Getting rid of molds after an indoor flooding. (Photo Credits)

Indoor flooding can be stressful, disastrous even, and even though it is minor, molds can still grow even after flood waters have been removed.

It is important that every homeowner has at least a basic know-how when it comes to mold removal. Because while hiring a professional should be the best thing to do, there are instances when the mold problem is really minor that a property owner can handle it by himself. Read more here   

The Center For Disease Prevention has a reminder though to homeowners who are planning to clean up mold growth in their homes by themselves. “It isn’t necessary to identify the type of mold in your home, and CDC doesn’t recommend routine sampling for mold. If you are susceptible to mold, there may be a health risk; therefore, no matter what type of mold is present, it needs to be removed. Before you start any cleanup work, call your insurance company and take pictures of the home and your belongings. Throw away, or at least move outside, anything that was wet with flood water and can’t be cleaned and dried completely within 24 to 48 hours. Remember – drying your home and removing water-damaged items is the most important step to prevent mold damage.” Check out the rest of the material here.

Practical advice in removing molds

Web MD for its part gave its readers advice on how to deal with very minor mold problems.

“Keep in mind that undamaged items may need to be stored away from the house while you dry it out. Clean hard surfaces that have small amounts of mold with detergent and ‘as little water as possible,’ Morley says. ‘The most important thing is to keep things dry,’ she says. Protective Clothing. Also, if you can see mold growing, you should take precautions to keep from breathing it in. Wear an N95 respirator mask, which can be purchased at hardware stores. You may also want to consider heavy work boots and puncture-resistant gloves to protect your hands and feet from sharp objects if you’re also dealing with debris.” Check out the continuation of the article here.

Vinegar and Molds

WikiHow for its part enumerated the many ways to help remove mold growth. Spraying with vinegar is one of the solutions that they have specified.

“Put mild white vinegar in a spray bottle without diluting it. Vinegar has a mild acidity, making anywhere you spray it very inhospitable for mold. Do not dilute the vinegar when placing it into the spray bottle; you want to use it at full-strength, not watered-down.”

Read the continuation here.

Safety precautions should always be observed when dealing with mold growth, especially those that sprung out off water damage.

Where to inspect for molds after a water damage incident