How to know if a pet is sick of molds

Pet Love

Symptoms of mold exposure on pets. (Photo Credits)

If a pet is acting a bit sluggish, has become even scratchier and is basically not acting like normal then a visit to the veterinarian might be warranted.

But before going to the vet it might be best to look around the house especially if the home has areas that have untreated flood or water damage.

This is because pets also get ill because of molds.

Petful.com explains just how molds become very dangerous for pets and animals in general.

“Black mold has been known to cause problems in farm animals, but it’s only in the past decade that awareness has risen about ill health in our domestic pets. This fungus thrives in damp straw. Animals bedded on infected straw can suffer from a range of symptoms and syndromes, from sudden death in horses to diarrhea in cattle and uncontrollable tremors in pigs. Black mold has been known to cause problems in farm animals, but it’s only in the past decade that awareness has risen about ill health in our domestic pets. This fungus thrives in damp straw. Animals bedded on infected straw can suffer from a range of symptoms and syndromes, from sudden death in horses to diarrhea in cattle and uncontrollable tremors in pigs.”

Read the continuation here.

Detoxing from molds

The website Surviving Toxic Mold meantime gave pet owners tips on how to detox pets who have been exposed to molds.  Check over here

“The first thing is removing the pet from a moldy situation.  If this means removing them from the house, from their exposed beds, toys, room, cage or house.   No pet can detox without complete mold avoidance.  Remember you can’t detox if there is outside exposure still going on. Clean all of their items with a 50/50 solution of ammonia and distilled water. (not tap water).  This includes toys, feeding dishes, leashes, collars, saddles, bridles, dog/cat outfits and DISCARD BEDS (These cannot be decontaminated because they qualify as a fabric that is thicker than 1 inch.  Anything in this category such as pillows, pet beds etc…must be discarded and buy a new one to put in the “mold free” NEW environment.  Do not bring the new bed back into the moldy environment or it is contaminated again.”

Check out the whole article here.

Treatment for Mold-Exposed Pets

Petmd.com for its part shared how a mold-exposed pet will likely be treated by the vet.

“According to Mahaney, veterinary treatment for mold inhalation or ingestion is generally focused on supportive care, including the management of respiratory symptoms, vomiting, and the administering of IV fluids for dehydration from gastric distress. Mold allergies can be treated with medications that lessen the immune system’s response. The prognosis for a pet afflicted by mold is generally good, and provided the source of the mold is properly removed to prevent continued problems, your pet should fully recover. As is the case with any sort of health problem, getting your animal to the vet as soon as possible is key. According to Coates, this last point is especially true if you are dealing with one of the mycotoxin-producing molds that can cause serious health problems in pets”

Read the continuation here.

To avoid molds altogether, water or flood damage in a home should be treated by a professional as soon as possible.

Water Damage, Molds, and Asthma