When molds cause illnesses to animals

Pet.

Pets can also get ill because of molds.  (Photo Credits)

Mold exposure is not only dangerous to humans. It can also be very toxic to pets. For households who have pets and are suspecting mold issues in their homes, it is best to know the possible health consequences of mold exposure to domestic animals, and how they can be protected from these threats.

Pet website Petful.com explains why mold exposure can be dangerous to dogs, cats and other household pets. In their featured web post, they explain that molds emit a toxic substance that can be dangerous, if not fatal to pets. Read more here

“Black mold produces a mycotoxin (a toxic chemical produced by a fungus) that, when circulated in the bloodstream, causes cell death and damages the liver. Crucially, this mycotoxin can damage the liver’s ability to produce blooding clotting factors. This means the patient has difficulty clotting blood, with symptoms such as nosebleeds, blood in bodily waste or fatal hemorrhages from the lungs.”

Read more here.

https://www.petful.com/pet-health/toxic-mold-pets/

Symptoms of mold exposure

But how can a pet owner know if his pet is getting sick because of molds? Healthy Pets by Mercola has shared comprehensive information on mold toxicity and pet care. One of the areas they discussed is the symptoms pets can exhibit when a pet gets ill because of molds.

“Symptoms of inhaled mold include respiratory distress (difficult or rapid breathing), nasal discharge, coughing, wheezing, sneezing, lethargy and in severe cases, bleeding from the nose and/or mouth. (1) Symptoms of ingested mold involve the gastrointestinal (GI) tract and include loss of appetite, vomiting and stool changes. (2) Symptoms of an allergic reaction to mold include scratching, chewing, licking or biting at itchy areas of the body that can progress to skin sores and fur loss. (3) Some types of toxic mold also affect the nervous system, which can cause tremors and seizures.”

The whole write-up can be found here.

Treatment plan

What to do upon exposure? PetMD.com says the best way is to bring the pet immediately to the veterinarian for a check-up.

“Veterinary treatment for mold inhalation or ingestion is generally focused on supportive care, including the management of respiratory symptoms, vomiting, and the administering of IV fluids for dehydration from gastric distress. Mold allergies can be treated with medications that lessen the immune system’s response. “

The rest of the write-up can be found here.

After their medical treatment, pet owners should also ensure that their homes will be free from molds, by employing professional mold removal services.

Preventing Flooding in the Garage