Check for molds after an indoor flooding

IMG_0630

Molds can grow in as little as 48 hours following an indoor flooding incident. (Photo Credits)

Indoor flooding is very stressful already and getting over this hurdle can already be considered as hurdling a gargantuan task.

However, a home can still remain vulnerable to mold growth especially when it has not been treated and restored by professional water damage restoration experts. Check over here.

Check for mold problems

If a homeowner just cleared the inundation by himself, it is imperative to check for mold growth every now and then. This is especially true when symptoms of diseases related to mold exposure suddenly takes place weeks after the indoor flooding incident.

So where does on check for mold issues?

WebMD says they can usually be found in moist areas of the home. “Your walls, floors, appliances, carpet, or furniture – they can all provide the food mold needs to grow. But the thing all molds need most is moisture, so you’re most likely to see mold in damp places such as bathrooms, kitchens, laundry rooms, basements, and crawl spaces.”

Read the rest of the material here.

How to reduce the risk

The Center for Disease Control Prevention says steps can be taken to avoid mold exposure, and at the same time prevent mold growth at home.

“Sensitive individuals should avoid areas that are likely to have mold, such as compost piles, cut grass, and wooded areas. Inside homes, mold growth can be slowed by controlling humidity levels and ventilating showers and cooking areas. If there is mold growth in your home, you should clean up the mold and fix the water problem. Mold growth can be removed from hard surfaces with commercial products, soap and water, or a bleach solution of no more than 1 cup of household laundry bleach in 1 gallon of water.”

Read the rest of the material here.

The New York State Department of Health for its part warned its constituents about the dangers of mold exposure.

“Allergy and irritation are the most common symptoms of mold exposure. Less common effects of mold exposure include infections and illness. Serious infections from molds are relatively rare and occur mainly in people with severely suppressed immune systems. Illness has been reported from workplace exposures to mold.” Read the continuation here.

Inspecting for molds in the home is as important as ensuring the good health of the home, and preventing possible problems.

Untreated Water Damage and Children’s Allergies