Mold Exposure and Children

P5220047

When water damage affects children. (Photo Credits)

Water damage can be very harmful especially when it spurs mold growth.

More and more studies have shown that mold exposure can cause various illnesses on children, especially on infants.

The US National Library of Medicine, National Institutes of Health published an article correlating mold exposure and children’s health. “About 30 investigations from various countries around the world have demonstrated a close relationship between living in damp homes or homes with mold growth, and the extent of adverse respiratory symptoms in children. Some studies show a relation between dampness/mold and objective measures of lung function. Apart from airways symptoms, some studies demonstrate the presence of general symptoms that include fatigue and headache and symptoms from the central nervous system. At excessive exposures, an increased risk for hemorraghic pneumonia and death among infants has been reported. (paragraph) The described effects may have important consequences for children in the early years of life.”

Read the continuation of the study here.

Molds and Pediatric Health Concerns

The website Live Strong meantime chronicled the many effects of molds into children’s health. Read more here  

“Molds that release mycotoxins into the air can cause serious damage to the central nervous system and lungs, and according to mold exposure specialist Dr. Eckhardt Johanning, long-term exposure to toxic-producing molds can also cause chronic effects on memory and other cognitive functionality, reports CBS News. While most mold-related illnesses subside once infestation is discovered and the contaminated space is properly cleaned and disinfected, some molds producing more potent toxins have caused pulmonary hemorrhaging or hemosiderosis in infants, according to the AAP.”

Read about the other health consequences Livestrong mentioned in the article here.

Baby Center for its part shared some advise to parents who suspect that their young babies have been exposed to molds in their respective homes.

“Throw away any mouldy clothes. Make sure you dispose of them outside of your home. Wash away mould that is on walls or in cupboards. You can use soap and water to do this, or a detergent. Bleach can also be used, but make sure that you dilute it in plenty of water (one capful to about 4.5 litres of water.) Don’t mix bleach with other household cleaners. Clean your bathroom often with mould-killing products. This will help to keep the mould away. These products are available from daily needs and home maintenance stores. Some pest control companies also offer special mould cleaning services.”

Read the whole post here.

Children should never be exposed to molds. Negative health consequences may await early exposure on infants.

What to do with Water Damaged Carpet