When molds grow out of water damaged properties


Water damage can lead to mold contamination. (Photo Credits)

When water damage is left untreated, mold growth automatically follows. In as little as 48 hours, molds can set in, when especially when water is not professionally evacuated, and moisture has not been totally eliminated in a given area.

When molds start contaminating personal effects in a residential property, these items may be rendered for disposal, as mentioned in one of the articles published in the website Jondon.com. Visit 24Hr Water Damage Restoration San Diego

“All porous or semi-porous items with visible mold growth should be disposed of unless their value justifies specialized cleaning techniques, such as freeze-drying, use of an ozone chamber, or solvent washes. For paper items, it may be more cost effective to make copies of the contaminated items and discard the originals.”

Read the whole post here.

What can be done

Mold Sensitized.com also emphasized the same point – that there may be items that are better off discarded than salvaged once contaminated severely by molds. Click Here  

“If the carpet has visible mold growth it should be removed and replaced. Just as important, the removal should be done in a controlled fashion so that the potential for cross-contamination is reduced. Rather than carpeting, sensitized individuals should consider hard flooring and area rugs that can be removed from the structure once or twice a year for thorough cleaning and drying.”

Check out the whole article here.

Food Contamination

But when it comes to food, a manufacturer’s best bet is to issue a recall.

Media Agency WIFR.com reported about a similar incident.

“Popular children’s applesauce maker GoGo squeeZ has issued a voluntary recall because a production issue could cause the applesauce pouches to harbor fruit mold. The company is recalling shipments nationwide with a “best before date” between June 30, 2016 and July 26, 2016. GoGo squeeZ’s CEO says the mold poses no health risk but may have an unpleasant taste or smell.”

Read the whole report here.

Mold growth can be prevented if water damage is treated as soon as possible.