Old People can Get Sick From Mold Exposure


The damaging effects of molds on the health of the elderly. (Photo Credits)

Water damage can be extremely destructive, especially when left untreated. Molds is just one of its undesirable baggage, and the problem is that it can be damaging on the health of the home occupants particularly the elderly, young children, and those with auto-immune diseases.

In its website, the University of Minnesota Environment and Occupational Health emphasized that senior citizens are among those at risk when exposed to molds.

“Long-term exposure to indoor molds is certainly unhealthy to anyone, but some groups will develop more severe symptoms sooner than others, including: (1) Infants and children; (2) Elderly people; (3) Individuals with respiratory conditions, allergies and/or asthma; (4) Immunocompromised patients.”

Read the rest of the materials here.

Health Risks on the Elderly

Mercola in fact shared a warning to its readers about the possible ill effects of unremediated mold growth in a home, saying it should never be shrugged off because its health effects could be very devastating. Check over here     

“What many people don’t realize is that mold can make you extremely sick, or even kill you. According to the Environmental Protection Agency (EPA),1 all molds have the potential to cause ill health. The type and severity of your symptoms depend, in part, on the types of mold present, the extent of your exposure, your age and general health, and your existing sensitivities or allergies.”

Check out the rest of the article here.

The website Medicine Net for its part underscored that it may be impossible to particularly determine how an individual will react to mold exposure given that allergies and specific health situation will come into play.

“Sometimes, people may develop severe reactions to mold exposure. Symptoms of severe reactions, which are uncommon, include fever and difficulty breathing. People with compromised immune systems or patients with chronic lung disease can develop serious infections of the lungs due to molds. It is not possible to predict the degree of severity of the health risks associated with mold in the home. Allergic individuals vary in their degree of susceptibility to mold, and any symptoms and health risk may also depend upon the extent and exact type of mold that is present.”

The post is continued here.

When a home incurred water damage, it is important to fully restore it from its water damaged state to prevent mold growth and its health effects on the elderly.

Why water damage can be harmful for children