Pets and Water Damage

Bro's dogs

Pets can also suffer from the ill-effects of untreated water damage. (Photo Credits)

Like humans, pets can also suffer from the destructive effects of water damage. They too can be put to harm when the indoor flooding gets too high that they may drown. They can likewise get electrocuted, sustain injuries, suffer from flood-borne illnesses, and get affected by molds.

Molds are one of the most dangerous consequences of water damage that can hit domestic pets like cats and dogs. If a water-damaged home gets untreated of water damage, molds can grow in the next 48 hours or so.

The website PetMD.com warns about mold’s ill effects on animals. “Toxic mold is of particular concern for pets and people because these organisms produce mycotoxins that can cause health problems. There are five categories of toxic mold: Cladosporium, Penicilium, Fusarium, Aspergillus, and Stachybotrys. These molds can cause anything from a sneezing or coughing fit to, in extreme cases, neurologic problems and death.”

Read the whole material here.

Symptoms of Mold Exposure on Pets

The website Vet Info shed light on the symptoms pets may display upon exposure to molds. 24Hr Water Damage Restoration San Diego More info here         

“A dog with a mold allergy will probably first show signs of a year-round skin problem. He may chew or bite at his feet and legs frequently, or he may rub his face or belly against the ground in an attempt to scratch itchy patches of skin. In some cases, a dog will develop a secondary skin infection after he’s chewed his skin raw, or in time, he may develop bald patches in his coat or he may have crusty or oily spots on his coat from excessive scratching. Another indication of a possible mold allergy in your dog is chronic ear infections that result in large amounts of ear wax being produced. Dogs with a mold allergy may also sneeze, cough or have watery eyes.”

The post is continued here.

Health Problems in Pets

Petful.com also shared comprehensive information on the effects of molds on pets. “The treatment may involve a blood transfusion (if the pet bleeds unduly) and antibiotics to fight secondary infections. Your vet will repeat blood tests to monitor liver function. The pet must rest to reduce the risk of knocks and bumps, which could cause bleeding. It is crucial to get rid of the black mold or stay away from it. Remember, this is a condition that affects pets and people, so if your cat or dog is unwell, then you must leave that environment and seek urgent medical help for yourself, too.”

Check out the rest of the article here.

To keep everyone in the household safe from the effects of untreated water damage, immediately seek the help of professional water damage restorers to address the issue.

Water Damage, Molds and the Elderly