What are the symptoms of being exposed to molds?


Children are susceptible to the many illnesses brought about by mold exposure. (Photo Credits)

It is important to stay alert and be aware of the signs of mold exposure on children. As an age group, children are very vulnerable to the effects of getting exposed to molds, most especially those that have allergies like asthma or rhinitis. 24hr Water Damage Repair San Diego CA            

And while parents may be vigilant enough to keep their homes mold-free, there are places with which children can get exposed to molds without their parent’s being aware. For instance in schools, buildings can have unaddressed water damage that can lead to mold growth.

So how can parents decipher whether their child’s recurrent illness is because of mold exposure?

The Mayo Clinic rounded up the possible mold exposure symptoms both adults and children may experience. “If you have a mold allergy and asthma, your asthma symptoms may be triggered by exposure to mold spores. In some people, exposure to certain molds can cause a severe asthma attack. Signs and symptoms of asthma include: (1) Coughing, (2) Wheezing, (3) Shortness of breath, (4) Chest tightness.”

Read more here.

Do not brush it off

The website Parents.com meanwhile warned parents not to brush aside signs and symptoms children may be experiencing following exposure to mold spores.

“You may brush off your child’s sniffles at this time of year as a bit of hay fever, but pay attention to whether he reacts in specific locations, like the basement or outside after you’ve mowed, and also if his symptoms persist beyond spring pollen season (generally March to June). If your pediatrician thinks that mold may be the culprit, she’ll probably refer you to an allergist for testing.”

Take a look at the rest of the article here.

Black Mold Exposure

An even bigger red flag of mold exposure is that which concerns black molds. Livestrong.com published an article on this, which could serve as a warning to parents. Apart from respiratory problems, some symptoms may present itself as a skin problem, or headache, anemia, and even memory loss among other symptoms.

“If your child inhales the spores from black mold, he may experience respiratory problems similar to those from seasonal allergies. This includes irritated eyes, a runny nose and sneezing. Your child may also experience throat irritation and a cough. If your child has asthma, black mold spores may trigger an attack or exacerbate an existing attack.”

Read the original article here.

Molds can indeed be very dangerous to highly susceptible children. Parents should then be vigilant.